If you are building a new house or replacing an older roof, you will need to decide what type of roofing material to choose. There are many products on the market, and most of them are very good. Therefore, it is helpful to know what you can expect and the downsides of the various materials. Here is a look at some of the most popular types of roofing.
- Wood: Wood shingles have a natural look, and they are lovely on any home. There is a bit of work to install them, roofing repairs by Southern Cross, can help you out with that. The downside of wood is that it is flammable, and it can rot unless you get something like cedar. Wood shingles will need periodic maintenance. Another issue is that the wood is sometimes sourced from old-growth forests. And that might be something you want to avoid. Price is dependent on the species of wood.
- Asphalt: Asphalt shingles are popular because they are relatively inexpensive and they are easy to install, that is if you have a subsurface to nail them to. Asphalt is not the most beautiful item, and there aren’t many colour choices. But if you want to swap out your roof quickly, they are just the thing. Asphalt is somewhat durable but can be susceptible to strong winds and hail. It is also flammable.
- Metal Sheeting: Metal is getting more popular all the time. Metal is long-lasting, it comes with colour and style options, and it is not particularly expensive. It is perfect for skillion roofs. Metal can save you money in new construction because it is so light that it requires much less support structure underneath it. A good metal roof will last more than 30 years, possibly much more.
- Decorative Tiles: Clay or Spanish Tiles are gorgeous, and they last more than 50 years. They also have colour options and design choices, especially the clay tiles. The downside of this type of tile is that they are heavy and require a particular substructure to handle the tiles’ weight and installation technique. They can also be very expensive. You can also get decorative tiles made from concrete and have some interesting design choices.
- Concrete Tiles: Concrete fiber tiles are extremely popular in Asia and not as much in other regions. But they are so economical they are being used more often. These tiles generally come in sheets more than 1.2 meters long and 700mm across. It doesn’t take very many of them to cover a roof, and they go up quickly. They are also inexpensive and don’t weigh very much either, but they do nothing for insulation. Another downside is that they can be taken out by heavy hail, and they are not suitable for walking on. Also, the colour and style options are very basic.
If you are having trouble deciding what sort of roof is right for you. Take a drive around your community and find out what you like and go from there or you can visit completeroofingsolutions. The style of roof you choose will have a significant impact on the look of your home so take your time and find the product that works best for you.