Microsoft outlook is a whole package of web-based services. Outlook webmail is considered one of the most secure mailing services. Indeed Outlook is a robust emailing service but people still face various issues while using this service. One of the most common issues reported by Outlook users is cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. The main reason for this error is corrupted files. If the registry files get corrupted you will face cannot open the outlook window error with various other errors.
Here are some possible ways for troubleshooting cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook Error:
Repairing Office app
Any kind of issue on your Outlook can lead to various errors. So, whenever you get into any error; repair your app immediately. Follow the steps given below for repairing Office app:
- Open your computer and navigate to Control panel
- Go to Programs and click on Programs and features
- Select the Office product (Outlook) to repair
- Hit the change button
Now click on Quick Repair and hit the Repair button. Wait for repairing the files. If the Quick Repair tool does not fix the set of folders cannot be opened outlook error then you should try the Online Repair tool.
If you are unable to get the exact cause of this error then you should uninstall Office package and reinstall it. Reinstalling Office will ensure that there is no error on your Office package. Follow the steps for removing Office from your computer:
- Open your computer and go to Control Panel
- From Programs and Features tab, select Office Suite
- Click on uninstall
In case you can’t remove the Office suite from the control panel then you have to remove the Office suite manually.
Repair Outlook data
If the data file of your Outlook gets damaged then you may face improper uninstall or outlook the information store cannot be opened issues from time to time. Try repairing outlook data for troubleshooting this error:
- Open your Windows Explorer and click on program files
- Navigate to Microsoft Office
- Go to the search bar and exe
- Select SCANPST.EXE file
- Now double click on this file and browse for PST file location
Hit the start button to begin the scan. The repair tool will start scanning and fixing errors in the PST file. If the tool finds any error, it will show it in a tool dialog box. Click on the Repair button and wait for completing the process. Once complete, launch the Outlook app with the PST file and check whether Outlook the set of folders cannot be opened error gets fixed or not.
Disable your compatibility mode in Outlook
People also get errors while they are using Outlook with compatibility mode. Try using Outlook after disabling the compatibility mode. You can use the mentioned steps for disabling Outlook compatibility mode:
- Go to start menu and type exe
- Now right-click on Outlook.exe file
- Now click on compatibility from the properties tab
- Now clear the compatibility mode checkbox
- Hit the OK button
- Now restart your Outlook app
Try to open MS Outlook on Safe Mode
When your Outlook folder is not opening on your device then you try opening it on the safe mode. Opening the program on the safe mode and Outlook will load without any add-ins. If Outlook is working on Safe mode then you are getting the error due to the add-ins. You can run Outlook on the Safe mode by following these steps:
- Go to Windows run command
- Type Outlook/safe on the run bar and hit the OK button
- Now go to the Choose Profile page and tap the OK button
- The system may ask for admin credentials
- Enter the credentials and hit the Accept button
Check whether your Outlook is running on safe mode or not. If MS Outlook is running reliably then remove add-ins from MS Outlook. Use the mentioned steps to disable add-ins on Outlook:
- Open the MS Outlook and navigate File tab
- Go to the Options and click on Add-ins
- Scroll down to the bottom and choose COM Add-ins on your Manage box
Tap the Go button and the list of add-ons on Outlook will appear
Uncheck all the add-ins from the list and hit the OK button. Now restart your Outlook and check for the error.
Delete the account from the mail application
Windows device provides an inbuilt mail app where you can easily add your email account and access it. You can find the mail app on your control panel. When you add Outlook to your Mail app then you can access your Outlook account directly from the Mail. But sometimes adding Outlook to the Mail leads to folders not opening error. When your Outlook shows folder related issues; you should remove Outlook from the mail:
- Open the device and go click Mail app
- Click on the Accounts section page
- Go to the Manage account page; tap on the email account
- From the Account settings tab; select the Delete Account option
An account deletion confirmation window will be displayed
Choose the Delete button and the Outlook will be deleted from Mail. Now restart your device and open Outlook on your browser and check whether your error gets fixed or not.
Delete all the XML file from directory
Outlook can also show errors in opening the set of folders due to XML files. The XML files get corrupted and start showing error with outlook. If you are getting the Outlook error due to XML files then you should delete them from your device:
- Open Run bar on your system
- Type Appdata and hit the Enter button
- Your AppData directory will appear
- Search for LocalMicrosoftOutlook16 folder
- Check for the XML files and remove them
Restart your Outlook and check whether now you can open the set of folders or not.
Try resetting the navigation pane
The navigation pane of your MS Outlook has all the files, data like contacts, calendar, tasks etc. Sometimes resetting the navigation pane can also fix your issues. Close the Outlook and other programs on your device. Go to the run bar and type outlook.exe/resetnavpane. Hit the enter button and your Outlook navigation pane will get reset. Now reopen your Outlook and try to open the set of folders.
Check whether your compatibility mode gets disabled or not. If not then search for PST file and click on restore previous versions. If you are still getting Outlook information store could not be opened issue then you should try opening Outlook in safe mode. Go to search bar; type Outlook/safe and hit the Enter button. Now you will get a system prompt asking for your confirmation. Click on the Confirm button and use Outlook on Safe mode. If your Outlook is running without any error on the safe mode then your Outlook app does not have any error. You are dealing with some system error. Repair your device’s program or registry file and then try to access Outlook.